CERTIFICATE IN TOURIST GUIDE
COURSE INTRODUCTION :
This course starting with Level 3, which is level 3 of the Malaysian Skills Certificate (SKM) Malaysian Skills Certificate.
The Basic Tourist Guide Course (Level 3) is compulsory courses that must be followed by all individuals who aspires to be a Tourist Guide Legal city in Malaysia. In addition, before licensed by the Ministry of Tourism and Malaysian Culture (MOTAC), candidates must attended the course successfully and graduated written examination and practical examination.
This Certificate is a program for 5 Months covering Industrial Training and Practical Exam.
COURSE MODULE :
- TOUR JOB ASSIGNMENT ACCEPTANCE
- TOUR ARRANGEMENT RECONFIRMATION
- TOURIST ARRIVAL EXECUTION
- TOUR COMMENTARY DELIVERY
- TOUR ITINERARY EXECUTION
- TOURIST HEALTH, SAFETY, SECURITY AND EMERGENCY HANDLING
- TOURIST DEPARTURE EXECUTION
- CUSTOMISED TOURIST SERVICES EXECUTION
- TOUR PAYMENT ARRANGEMENT
- OPTIONAL TOURS EXECUTION
- TOUR REPORTING
Malaysians aged 18 and above.
Passed SPM 6 Subjects – including BM
Malaysian Skills Certificate (SKM) level 3 or more in the field of tourism
5 years of working experience in the tourism sector
Once the trainees have completed the course, they have the opportunity to venture into careers such as:
- Tourist Guide Malaysia
- Internal Verified Officer
Certificate in Professional Skill Tourist Guide – CERTIFIED BY JPK.
Certificate in Tour Guide Course Completion- CERTIFIED BY MOTAC.
Contact a tourism training institution registered with the Ministry of Tourism and Culture Malaysia. The names of tourism training institutions are as listed.
Attend and pass the 4 to 6-month Basic Tourist Guide Course.
Sit for the written and practical examinations conducted by the Ministry of Tourism and Culture Malaysia.
Results will be released 30 working days after the examinations.
Candidates who have passed the Basic Tourist Guide Course will receive a letter and certificate from the Ministry of Tourism and Culture Malaysia and a Malaysian Skill Certificate from the Department of Skills Development through their tourism training institutions. These candidates are required to sit for the We Are The Host (WATH) Course conducted by the tourism training institutions or the Tourist Guide Association of Malaysia.
Successful candidates must submit the documents mentioned below to the Licensing Division of the Ministry of Tourism and Culture Malaysia within 3 months of obtaining the Basic Tourist Guide Course Certificate from the Ministry of Tourism and Culture Malaysia:
- Basic Tourist Guide Course Certificate
- We Are The Host (WATH) Course Certificate
- Malaysian Skill Certificate
- 1 passport-sized photograph
- 1 copy of identity card
- 1 copy of receipt of membership in State Tourist Guide Association
- Detailed medical certificate from any government hospital/licensed medical practitioner
A provisional Tourist Guide Licence will be issued within 5 days of submission of documents.
Tourist guides must sit for the Tourist Guide Confirmation Course within the 2-year probation period and acquire 3 Continuous Tourism Related Education (CTRE) certificates in order to obtain a Permanent Tourist Guide Licence.
To renew the Tourist Guide Licence, 6 CTRE certificates must be acquired within 2 years.
Existing tourist guides can enhance their knowledge by learning foreign languages and increasing their guiding languages so that they can guide foreign tourists. Tourist guides who can speak foreign languages are very much in demand now. For tourist guides who are interested in training and teaching, with enough experience, they can become trainers and examiners for the tourist guide course at tourism training institutions. With sufficient experience and capital, tourist guides can also involve themselves in tourism related businesses such as tour agencies, hotels and resorts.
City Tourist Guides
- Local Nature Tourist Guides
- City tourist guides can guide tourists in cities throughout Malaysia.
- Attend and pass the Basic Tourist Guide Course to obtain a city tourist guide licence. The duration of the course is 500 hours (4-6 months) and it is conducted by tourism training institutions registered with the Ministry of Tourism and Culture Malaysia.
- The colour of the license is blue.